Hourly rate

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:24:03 -0400

Some stories out of my personal archives ...

About 20 years ago, long before I thought about becoming a piano technician
but while I was tinkering with the idea of doing something in the name of
self-employment, a jazz pianist I knew in Boston gave me a little hint.
"Charge what you will, as much as you think you're worth."

He then went on to tell stories about some of the comments he had overheard
at the parties he had played at.  "You know, I paid a lot for this guy -- I
knew he had to be real good...."

I can never thank him enough for that advice.  It has worked like clockwork
for me.

A few years ago I got a call from a bargain hunter looking for someone to
work on a well-weathered upright piano she had been given.  I thought I had
discouraged her with my rates.  She called me back about a week later saying
she decided to have me attempt the work because I was the only person who
sounded like I knew what I was doing, and that included the possibility that
the piano may have to be pronounced DOA.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net