Fw: Diane H. comments re mentoring of techs.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:57:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Joseph Garrett=20
To: pianomarv@home.com=20
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 12:55 PM
Subject: Diane H. comments re mentoring of techs.

Diane and list,=20
Although, your comments were of the original subject, I whole-heartedly =
agree with you. I personally believe that, the "sponsor" signature on =
the PTG application was originally intended to foster just such a =
program. But, alas, it has fallen by the way-side. My personal =
experience, was with a technician, who took that responsibility VERY =
seriously. He made sure that I had every opportunity to be guided in my =
persute of becoming a good technician. I owe him everything! I have, in =
a small way, tried to do the same. To date, I have trained at least 6 =
technicians, (probably more, but memory ain't what it used to be. :-), =
in my shop and in the field. The problem is that too many RPTs take the =
whole situation too lightly and don't recognize their obligation =
obligation to perpetuate this beautiful way of earning a living, (albeit =
somewhat meager, compared to other fields of endeavor). I think that =
this is a topic that should be discussed at EVERY chapter in PTG, on a =
REGULAR  basis! Perhaps, our talking about it here, will encourage such =
discourse.
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett
P.S. We have a similar musicians program, here, but that's for the =
beginner students, not for the more advanced. The more advanced student =
is where, I think we're dropping the ball. It is my hope to promote that =
area a bit more.