ok, I give up

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:28:33 -0400

Andrew,

Others have given you excellent responses.  I will respond to only the
reference to the Reblitz book, since no one mentioned that yet
specifically.

You know who Reblitz is, and apparently you have the book.  My
understanding of a hobbyist in this context is someone who would buy an
older piano that needs a lot of work and just has fun tinkering around
with it.  There is no time frame; just having fun.  And if the work
turns out less than perfect, so what?  Get another old piano and try
again.

But your situation is entirely different.  As a pianist in advanced
studies, is this what you want?  I believe even the piano technician who
is most proficient at regulation would blush if we could check his very
first job, because much is learned from years of experience.  I see no
way you can expect good results on your first try, at least not without
a great deal of frustration.  Sometimes a fine regulation cannot be
achieved without new parts, and how will you know what to replace?
It'll be a very long road.

I might also mention that there are do-it-yourself books on almost every
subject, but that doesn't mean everyone who tries to follow the
directions will achieve success.

So I agree with the others -- call a professional.  Nevertheless,
Reblitz's book is considered one of the better ones, so with many hours
of reading and practice maybe you *can* at least tune your own piano and
even more.  Just don't expect miracles to happen.

(I've been servicing pianos for over twenty years, nine of those
fulltime and an RPT for five.  But even now there is no way I would
attempt to regulate a grand piano to meet the requirements of a fine
concert pianist.)

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger