Where's the engineer? - was string seating - was bridge caps

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:20:24 -0500

Hi Mike,
              Great post, but now another wrinkle.
Now this I thought was off the wall.  I need to replace my garden fence,
and noting the loose fence post, I started to think in parallel of bridge
pins. And also find how deep I really needed to bore the new holes, to get
longer term stability.
Called a friend of mine at the University who put me in touch with a soil
Hydrologist. Who does a lot of consulting work for power companies with
regards to power lines and adverse soil conditions.
To cut a long story short, where there is moisture changes with an inbedded
post, a pumping action takes place that gradually forces the post out of
the ground. This is also the reason that rocks come to the surface in
farmers fields.
I switched the conversation to the bridge pin problem, his gut reaction was
this is a similar senerio.
With his power line post, they bore down to anchor into a stable substrate,
hoping to get enough stability to stop the post moving.  Or bore four
angled anchor holes to to control the direction of forces, and movement.
His gut feeling again, since the whole bridge is being effected by moisture
changes, it will be inevitable the pin will eventually be pumped upwards.
The direction of movement, is always the line of least resistance, makes
sense,  the pin is bottomed, so up she goes. The second area of movement,
is flag polling. Same for power lines caused by wind pressure, we have side
bearing. The quality of material and other factors, will help determine how
much of this will take place.
Our parallel, quality of quater saw, growth rings, seasoning, and bore
quality.
Of the wall, or food for thought.
Roger