Bummer Old Upright and loose tuning pins

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:01:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Terry and list,

I'm curious what thought process you go through when you encounter loose
pins. I assume you brought up the subject of a new pin block to the
customer, and then told the customer that the repair would probably be
worth more than the piano. So then you have several options: larger tuning
pins, driving pins in further if possible, shimming, and doping the block
with tightening liquid. I found all these mentioned in Reblitz. How do you
decide which option to use?

I also have a question about driving the pin further in. I think of the
pin like a screw in a threaded hole. My initial reaction to the idea of
driving it in futher is that it would strip all the threads. Help me out
here.

Thanks,

Charles Neuman
PTG Associate