1/4 comma meantone tuning

Larry lbeach@sfu.ca
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:13:50 -0700

Hi folks!

How many of you have had the time to waste and put a 1/4 comma meantone
tuning on your home piano? ;)  I just tried it on a Yamaha C7 for fun
today.  I couldn't get it to work very well unless I allowed the 3rds to
beat about 2-3 /sec, and 5ths more narrow than they should.  I figured this
must be due to the greater inharmonicity of the modern grand piano compared
to relatively no inharmonicity on the organs of Bach's time.  Nevertheless,
it sure demonstrated how nice some chords can sound, and how awful a couple
of them were.  (C#-G# is a very bad 5th!)

Just curious today....

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver, BC