Cracks in pin block

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:28:42 -0400

Plugging will make the block as good as new. The only question is =
whether you want to do all the work. Block replacement is usually not =
much more work.

Epoxy is great stuff. I you wish to pursue your thought, you might want =
to try brushing the block with the Epotex (sp?) thim epoxy the Roger =
Jolly speaks of. It should penetrate and soak into all sorts of places. =
Let it run into the tuning pin holes and soak into any cracks there. I'm =
coming round to just replacing blocks. It's just not that hard. I had =
only put it off and tried plugging because I had not yet bought a band =
saw. If the piano will not be played, just get the cheapest block from =
Schaff or the like.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: w peterson=20
  To: ptg=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 6:38 PM
  Subject: Cracks in pin block

  Has anyone had success with a pin block which had small cracks on the =
top and bottom layer.  I know that a lot of quick fix shops just ignore =
this.  I am wondering if epoxy with heat will penetrate this enough to =
last.  This piano is for show and probably will not be played.  The =
piano is a small butterfly grand. =20

  I would appreciate all answer and suggestions, good and bad.=20

  Thanks, Bill Peterson