agraffes

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:19:46 +1000

David wrote;

>1.  Is there any difference in quality between agraffes purchased
>from various suppliers or do they all come from the same source?

There is a huge difference in quality. Don't assume that agraffes
from a more expensive piano will be higher quality either.

>2.  Should the countersink of the holes be reamed to insure
>uniformity and proper shape of the inside of the eye?  It has not
>occurred to me to do this to new agraffes before, but given recent
>buzzing problems with some new agraffes, I am wondering.

Indeed, a few years ago when we were reshaping agraffe holes on a
regular basis, we decided to try new agraffes from a manufacturer of
high repute (since we weren't entirely satisfied with our hole
reshaping - still the occasional noisy one). To our horror, the new
ones were considerably worse than our reshaped agraffes.

In recent years, even when using new replacement agraffes, we always
reshape the string holes. Cut a couple of new agraffes through the
string holes and inspect the hole profiles with a light and
magnifying glass. You will often find yourself 'reaching' for that
descriptive word, 'ordinary'.

Regards,

Ron O
--