string seating - was bridge caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:50:16 -0500

>Mike and Ron and all the ships at sea,
>    All very good questions and now one more. What or how does the Wapin
system
>effect all this pin to string relationship with regard to what your talking
>about.

Bridge cap crush should be less with high MC because the pin isn't canted.

>I have been known to "push" strings back down on to the bridge to
alleviate the
>false beats. I have visually noticed movements which suggests to me that the
>string climbs somehow.

I'm suggesting that the string doesn't climb, but the support underneath is
deformed by past humidity cycles and no longer supports the string at the
notch edge, making it possible to push the string "back" down on the bridge.

>It also does have at least the temporary result of
>removing
>the false beat.

Temporary being the key word here.

> How  important is the deflection angle in string termination? If it must
be there why isn't it done on both ends of the speaking length? Is there a
reason that the string can't pass over a bar embedded into the surface of
the bridge giving only one point of termination similar to the capo d' astro?

Very important. There's not enough of a downbearing angle to provide a good
bridge termination, so the string is staggered between offset bridge pins
to provide the needed bearing angle to get a tolerable termination. A bar
imbedded in the surface of the bridge would need some sort of screwed down
pressure bar  behind it to get an adequate bearing angle, and since it
wouldn't be parallel to the capo, would result in different speaking
lengths for every string in all the unisons. Sure, it would probably work
as well as some things that have been tried.

>If there were enough downbearing against the bar would there be enough energy
>transference to the board without stiffling the energy? Just some rambling
>thoughts from ..... an associate.
>
>Greg

Some energy is always lost to heat because things are flexing, but yea.

Ron N