string seating - was bridge caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:17:03 -0500

>Question:  Why does the pitch on the just seated string sometimes drop 5+
>cents?  I don't as a matter of course seat strings but when I hear that
>fuzzy, un-focused tone I know what to do...I seat with a 1/4" brass rod
>drift and a light tap in front of the bridge pin in the speaking length and
>watch that sucker drop...the tone always clears up and I won't have to do
>it again for many years.
>
>David Ilvedson

I think it's because the string is pushed down, and is now levering up on
the bridge pin (against it's inclination), and springing it back a little
to push it solidly against the side of the hole. Pin leans back, string
goes down on pin, string takes shorter path through bridge than before, and
the tension drops accordingly. I've not had good long term luck with
seating strings in the field. The pianos still sound much wilder in the
winter when the wood MC is low, and much cleaner in summer when it's high.

Ron N