Not a Bummer Old Upright/Decker

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:50:03 -0400

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:52:16 EDT Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM writes:
> I think many on this list would agree that these pianos were
> well built, with the highest quality of materials. It never
> ceases to amaze me that to this day, I see a few that the
> leathers are soft and supple, much of the felt is still perfectly
> good, or at least better than some I could replace it with.
> Bridges show little sign of deterioration, action parts line up
> like "ducks in a row." No warped shanks or twisted hammers.
> These are the ones worth preserving. I humbly feel that I have
> done some small part in saving a little history for future
> generations of families and even technicians. Something
> that works and can be touched and used- not in a museum.
> I haven't made much in the way of monetary reward for these
> jobs, with refinishing and all, but some of the reward was
> personal and some from the thanks of the owners.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark Ritchie RPT

Mark -

I agree 100%.  I consider it a noble cause to resurrect one of "the ones
worth preserving".  Sometimes monetary considerations must take a back
seat to doing what is right.

Look at it this way... if WE don't do it, then nobody will.  It would
truly be a shame for some of these instruments to be tossed out.  We will
likely never see that type of workmanship again.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com