Bummer Old Upright

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:45:57 EDT

Hi Terry Farrell & list
Going to have to start using last names with all the Ric's & Ron's & Terry's
I personally never had much luck with sandpaper. I think J. Garrett info
was the answer you were looking for. The CA glues I haven't really tried
for this application but seems like it could,should work. I try to avoid those
situations as much as possible, seeing pins that have been driven,
previous signs of juicing, many oversize tuning pins scattered around.
All good warning signs to proceed with caution. You can still get caught
now and then.   ¦ -) keep your eyes open........
Have fun-  the piano is probably no worse off than it was.

Best Regards,
Mark Ritchie RPT
<< In a message dated 4/11/01 4:31:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
 > What are you shimming pins with?

 On old pianos with pins of generally low torque, I will use 120 grit regular
 aluminum oxide sandpaper. If the piano has generally good torque (maybe
 above 60 or 70 in-lbs.), I might use 100 or 80 grit. I find 120 grit will
 get you in the 50 to 80 in-lbs. range, while 80 grit will usually get ya up
 over 100 in-lbs. Obviously, it all depends on how big the hole was to start
 with. I really like the feel that the sandpaper gives (when turning the
 tuning pin - not rubbing it on my nose!).

 Terry Farrell
 Piano Tuning & Service
 Tampa, Florida
 mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com