other story

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:09:59 EDT

Terry asks:
<<Have you, or anyone else, found that an aurally well-tuned HT (Kirnberger

for example, but Vallotti or whatever) is any different from a VTD

well-tuned HT? <snip>
 on a S&S B tuning ET should result in a very nice tuning -  Take that
tuning, tune that same piano with the appropriate

offsets for the desired HT. Compare that SAT III HT tuning to an aural

tuning of the same HT on an identical piano  Will there, or should there, be
significant differences?<<

Greetings,
      Interesting question.  I have done this several times.  When first
reading Jorgensen,  I followed his aural instructions, struggling a bit at
first, but soon finding that the resulting temperaments met all the criteria
he gave.  It was only later that I found what I could do with those little
rows of numbers and a SAT!  I immediately punched them up and compared the
machine's offset created well temperament with my aural results.  The
difference is so small that I consider it negligible. Especially compared to
the difference between ET and any of the other logical tunings you would use
on a piano.  I do use my aurally refined SAT tunings as  basis for the offset
temperaments I sell, but on any piano over 6 feet, (imo&e) the difference
between basing  the offsets on a solid FAC/RCT tuning or a really close aural
ET are academic.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT