Bummer Old Upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:23:36 -0400

> I think that it probably relates to the pin block being shot.
> Pins driven to the plate by the last person should have
> been a good clue. :)

Yes, it was a rather obvious clue, but my point was that although the
particular pins probably had perhaps only 20-30 in-lbs. torque it was enough
to hold the pin and when moving the pitch up and down, the motion was
smooth. After shimming nearby pins the motion on the 20-30 lbs. pins was
jerky.

> What are you shimming pins with?

On old pianos with pins of generally low torque, I will use 120 grit regular
aluminum oxide sandpaper. If the piano has generally good torque (maybe
above 60 or 70 in-lbs.), I might use 100 or 80 grit. I find 120 grit will
get you in the 50 to 80 in-lbs. range, while 80 grit will usually get ya up
over 100 in-lbs. Obviously, it all depends on how big the hole was to start
with. I really like the feel that the sandpaper gives (when turning the
tuning pin - not rubbing it on my nose!).

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com