Bummer old upright (Starr)

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:01:55 -0300

Hi,
I have a fibre optic extension, which fits on my Maglite, and is ideal for
these situations.
I think in a previous post, someone said they got theirs at Wal-Mart, I got
mine at an auto parts
store.
I don't, as a rule shim, I just use a bigger pin. The split quite possibly
is only in one lamination,
so the others hold it. The inspection of the hole, will give a good
indication, if it will work.
I only do this if it is just a few, and it is to put off the inevitable, for
a while more, as not everyone
can afford another piano.
I have had good luck with plugs, but once again, only if it a few.
Otherwise a new pinblock is called for.
Regards,
John M. Ross

piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Richard Brekne
  Sent: April 11, 2001 1:29 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Bummer old upright (Starr)

  Could be Joe. I started years ago carrying some sort of little flashlite
around with me to inspect as closely as I could the insides of any tunning
pinhole when I decide to pull a pin for replacement. If there is a crack I
want to know about it if I can so I can help the customer decide best what
to do about it.
  These days Maglite makes these great little mini Mags.... works perfectly
for inspecting tuningpin holes.

  Joseph Garrett wrote:

    IMHO when you shimmed the loose pins, that spread the existing crack in
the pin block, causing neighbor pins to become loose. You probably
exacerbated the situation, unknowingly. I've been there. It's time to say
the "last rites" on that one.Regards,Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  --
  Richard Brekne
  RPT, N.P.T.F.