old bummer uprights

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:58:46

Terry wrote:
<snip>

  What puzzled me was that I went quickly through the pins in the center of
the piano and they seemed weak, but good enough for now. After shimming a
number of the pins, I noticed that a bunch of tuning pins that had not been
identified as being loose, now had the characteristic of jumping about a
half step down when trying to just move the pitch down a hair. Could this be
related to the fact that the coils were squished up to the plate?

>  Terry Farrell
>  Piano Tuning & Service
>  Tampa, Florida
>  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

My guess is that the process of shimming (or replacing with a bigger pin)
increases the stress to an otherwise compromised pinblock, causing a
"domino" effect that you are seeing now.  Personally, in these situations,
I've had good luck using combinations of CA glues to solidify the situation
without adding stress to the block.  Others have written about epoxe, or
drilling and plugging..... you just have to find what works for you and your
client's checkbook :)  I think I'd rather see them get a better piano, or
rebuild it right, but there are times when the best you can do is get the
thing working for them.

good luck

Ron Koval

Chicagoland