string seating - was bridge caps

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:53:39 -0700

Question:  Why does the pitch on the just seated string sometimes drop 5+
cents?  I don't as a matter of course seat strings but when I hear that
fuzzy, un-focused tone I know what to do...I seat with a 1/4" brass rod
drift and a light tap in front of the bridge pin in the speaking length and
watch that sucker drop...the tone always clears up and I won't have to do
it again for many years.

David Ilvedson