Yamaha PTII

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:57:18 -0400

In my humble opinion, this is a clear example of the fact that among piano
owners (considering the whole group) VERY very few (my guesstimate would be
less than 1%) have any significant ability to tell whether a piano is well
tuned or not. I would guess that if one has good hammer technique, tunes
good unisons, and takes the time to set the string pitches accurately
according to the Yamaha PT machine, you will get very very few complaints.

I use a SAT III, and I believe I use it reasonably well. I have used it
(well, a SAT II previously) for three years now and have never had a
complaint. So I guess that would be the result in the real world of
Acrosonics and Cable-Nelson uprights: Use a great machine properly with good
hammer technique and great care and get no complaints, OR use an inferior
machine properly with good hammer technique and great care and get two
complaints in two years. I believe there is a world of difference in the
resulting tunings between a machine like the SAT that can truely produce a
great custom tuning for a given piano and a machine like the Yamaha that has
several pre-set tunings that may or may not fit the piano well. BUT not many
piano owners can tell!

My guess is that if we were both hi-end concert technicians, the SAT tech
would be in great demand, and the Yamaha PT tech would have a poor
reputation (tech skill equal). Sad but true, IMHO.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com