Decker Bros. Upright

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:18:37 -0500

To Terry Farrell,

My reply interspersed below.

At 06:28 PM 4/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Don't walk if you like/want the work! I tune/perform triage on a lot of junk
>or otherwise old stuff.

I can always use the work. This is a very nice looking piano and except for
the bad bass strings and music wire, it isn't in all that bad a shape. I
would like the challenge if the customer agrees.

>Don't know. But I have a question. Does it really matter that much? Let's
>say it was "designed" for A435. If we tune it at A440, we will be
>approximately 20 cents above it's designed pitch. So what will that do on an
>old piano that is not likely in the shape it was originally designed?

Since the customer also has another piano which is at A440, she wants this
antique at the same pitch. I was concerned that such an old instrument
might not take the strain if it was designed for A435.

>I sometimes like to break two strings before I give up going to standard
>pitch, but obviously that is subjective, and also depends on what the
>intended use of the piano is, and how bad the owner wants to try for A440. A
>40-cent pitch raise is not so terribly much (usually), so it might be worth
>one more try.

If it wasn't for the fact that someone had already broken and replaced
about half of the bass strings, I might have been tempted to continue with
the pitch raise. The replaced strings were not all in a row, but rather
random, so I assume they were broken as the piano was tuned.

>Absolutely need to speak with her first if you don't know the answers to all
>the questions above (intended use, etc.).

The customer is a music teacher. She had hoped to use this instrument for
teaching, rather than her Baldwin spinet. I had hoped that she would have
phoned this evening to discuss repairs with me, but she hasn't called as yet.

>Certainly something to talk to her about. She may be willing to restring
>entire piano?????

I wouldn't consider doing less than restringing the entire piano. I am sure
that the 115 year old plain wire will start breaking as the pitch is raised.

>Not too many original parts old upright actions that work smoothly after 120
>years. Just depends on what kind of feel and performance she wants and is
>willing to pay for.

Let's face it. She has been using a Baldwin spinet about 40 years old for
some time now. It is not a nice little piano. So she may be happy with
something that simply functions. She isn't really after performance. I
believe most, if not all of her students are not that far advanced.

I'll just have to wait to see what she says about it.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Terry Beckingham