Fw: Re:How to cook a piano

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 13:34:37 EDT

Sanra Cooper writes, via Pat Neely:

> One of my customers has an older Knabe grand that got cooked. The propane
>  > heat in her home went haywire and kept the house at an estimated 140
>  > degrees F for four days;

Hi Pat and Sandra,
There are specific areas I would worry about. First, remember that the
nominal temperature of your glue pot is 140 degrees. If the temperature of
the piano rises for a short time, the mass of the wood will act as an
insulator and heat sink, but as time goes on, the temperature of the glue in
the joint rises. How much? You can't know. Also, there are an awful lot of
joints, some of them originally assembled under stress (think rim laminae,
ribs, bridge to board, etc), and which are still under stress even after all
these years, when the heat softens/weakens the glue. In most of these, the
glue might set again without damage. However, even in joints that don't fly
apart, one might be left with a weak joint which could fail at a later time.

Second, you don't know what internal stresses have been put on the wood in
the soundboard, but I would consider them major.

Third, the resins in the finish suffered chemically, and the adhesion
suffered mechanically from the wood movement under it.

So, I would consider the risk high enough that I wouldn't hesitate to
recommend replacement to an insurance company. If it is not insured, I would
try to minimize risk to the client in several ways. First, if I were going to
try to salvage this piano, I wouldn't touch it for a year. Then I would look
at the apparent condition of the soundboard and ribs, checking for popped
glue joints all over, as well as listening to the sound. If the hammer felts
stayed on the moldings, I would check the action for twisting of shanks now
and after a couple of months. I would be very slow about putting money into
the piano. A "complete restoration" would not address many structural joints,
and would still leave the possibility of catastrophic failure, although this
diminishes somewhat with time.

Too bad the temperature wasn't higher, and maybe it would have annealed the
agraffes! (or would it?)

Good luck,
Bob Davis