Fairchild Method making FAC tuning

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 08 Apr 2001 09:06:49 -0700

Hello list,

Thanks for all the replies regarding DC systems!

Ok..next item: I was reading through some old issues of the Journal,
this one from April '96, in which Steve Fairchild shows an
interesting/alternate
method of getting FAC numbers WITHOUT using your tuning hammer; just the
SAT. His rational for not using the hammer to "tune" F, A & C is that after
the pitch is changed, the measuring becomes inaccurate. I have not found
this to be true. I routinely use the standard method of measuring/storing
FAC, even if the piano is 100 cents flat, and still get an accurate tuning.

Sample of Fairchild method:

Getting the stretch # for F3
1: set machine to F5
2: play F3 and stop lights by pressing cents up or down
3: hold "shift" down and press "RST". Cents window should read 0.0.
4: Set machine to F6.
5: play F3 and stop lights by pressing cents up or down
6: write the number in the cents window down on paper. This is the stretch
number for F3 to be entered later

Same routine for A4 & C6.

(The main difference is that normally you would use your tuning hammer to
"tune" in step 2, skip step 3 then do step 4 & 5, then store the stretch
number.)

Have any SAT users tried his method, and if so, does it work better for you
than the standard method? Just wondering. thanks!

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA