heater bar question

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:11:58 -0600

Hi Terry,

My rudimentary studies show that on average the pitch at A4 will change by
.75 of one cent for each 1% change in humidity level. These measurements
were taken on 2 different pianos both of which were small upgrights.

If the piano was 22 cents sharp at A4 then humidity has gone up by about
30% since the last tuning. I never install just a partial unit for my
climate requires both. If your client has forced air central heating I
would install a complete system. The difference in price would be paid for
by a single extra tuning being needed.

I suggest that the piano be completely and carefully tuned one month after
you have installed the partial unit.

Consider a plastic back cover for the instrument. It will improve the
performance of the system by about 4X in my experience.

The damppchaser rule of thumb is one watt of dehumidifying power for each
1% of humididy drop desired. So given a 30% increase in humidity level (and
we are not at mid summer yet) I would recommend a 50 watt rod.