Chickering brass flanges

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 15:51:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/07/2001 3:19:02 PM, Tom  him said:

<<"I'd be curious to know if the solder wicks into the cracks or
just bridges the gap (maybe that's all that's needed?).">>

Mr. T;
 The groove in those thingees was in the shape of a 'V' and I think that is
one reason they break so easily. (?)

 Siver solder will flow, especially if a tad of liquid flux is used this flow
will fill any crack or joint where the heat is high enough. What I did was to
anneal  the entire flange first , let it cool and then gently heated the
groove/cracked tip while repositioning it in a flat position...then I allowed
the silver solder to flow into the crack.........naturally there was always a
bit too much solder in the groove after it cooled off....I carefully dressed
up the groove with a small tri-angular file...............as too how strong
it was...I tried several samples to see if tightening a pin would cause it to
breakkKKK.... on each test the little, separate, flat bar cracked at the
screw hole and the flange/groove was unchanged.........Longevity is another
matter though............... as Paul said I will be keeping an eye on these
thingees for a few years.
  Why not give it a try and see what results you get? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)