string seating - was bridge caps

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:28:27 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Hi Ron,
> >
> >So if humidity *is* finally balanced properly would you then consider
> >tapping strings down on the bridge?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>
> Hi Don,
> Why would I want to in *any* circumstances other than as part of settling
> in a restringing? Strings don't levitate above bridges in the first place,
> so what exactly is tapping them down on the bridge presumed to do by way of
> a fix?
> Ron N

They may not levitate... but they have a habit of somehow or another finding
themselves in a position of being somewhat less then tightly held down against
the bridge from time to time. And this in instances of soundboards with crown
and bearing gauges showing plenty of string deflection. I am baffled myself as
to how this comes about... have heard plenty of reasoning for it, none of which
I can see is particularilly documennted fact so it remains to speculate as to
why... but regardless  the condition certainly does present itself from time to
time.

I think the main thing is something I heard from Mitch Kiel about 10 years
ago... not to overdo it. You dont want to bury the strings into the wood, but
they definantly need to have good contact.

You know one possibility that comes to mind is something Ron just pointed out
recently... the bridge swells and shrinks and the pins remain rather stable...
(perhaps I misunderstood..). If the bridge then swells at times.. then it would
push the strings upwards on the bridge pins... went the wood shrinks back....
its not guaranteed that the string will follow... especially if the bridge pin
is notched...just a thought..

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.