Fw: Re:How to cook a piano

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:34:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/01 10:16:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
pneely@thegrid.net writes:

> Would you be so kind as to put this out on the list to see what you get ?
> >
> > One of my customers has an older Knabe grand that got cooked. The propane
> > heat in her home went haywire and kept the house at an estimated 140
> > degrees F for four days; the plate was hot to the touch when she opened
> > the lid and touched it. What might I be looking for when I go to the
> > piano in two weeks. It is up at Lake almanor on the penninsula. this poor
> > piano was the victim of similar circumstance 6 years ago when the house
> > flooded from a broken water pipe. Anyway, I'd like to go in with some
> > intelligence on the subject and could use a little advice from some
> > friends out there. Thanks.

It would seem to me that there shouldn't be any real damage to the piano,
provided it was cooled down normally. My only concern is going to be when
humidity enters the house again. The extreme heat probably took all the
moisture out of the piano, and when the humidity comes back in the house, ( I
see that this piano is on a peninsula), the piano is going to go way out of
tune. I would think that it might take several years for the tunings to be
stable again.

Just my opinion

Willem