heater bar question

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:45:41 -0700

Howdy all,

A customer posed a rather interesting question regarding a heater bar.
I was there to tune his acrosoic, and noticed that in the past 6 mo. since i
tuned it last, that the pitch had gone 22C SHARP! So after explaining the
"pitch adjustment" procedure, and cost (1/2 my tuning fee), I proceeded with
the tuning. After i was finished i recommended a Heater bar & humidistat,
since he lives so close to the beach, higher humidity is the only real
concern, and that a heater bar placed inside his piano, with a humidista,
would keep his piano much more stable, and far less prone to excessive pitch
fluctuations. He gladly agreed; But then a thought came over him and he
asked: "Since you tuned the piano to normal pitch, at the present higher
humidity, isn't it likely that it will go flat after the bar is installed
and removes the excess moisture?" Hmmm, good questio, I thought. He didn't
really seem too worried about it, but just wondered, so I said that in the
week or two that it'll take before i get the bar & humidistat here and
installed, the pitch will likely "creep" up a tad, so it should all balance
out. I did tell him that if he notices any errant notes that may go out
within a month or two that i would come back and smooth them out, no charge.
Just wondering how any othe list members would've handled this matter.
thanks!

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA