To tune or not to tune?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:03:38 EDT

pryan2@the-beach.net writes:

> This week (and it's only Thursday) I have been called out to tune three
> un-tunable (upright) pianos which the owners indicated on the phone  were
> tunable, even though they were 80 to 100 years old.  When I arrived at the
> homes, the pianos were wrecks with the expected rust, corrosion, and rot.
> To these owners, a tuning meant a rebuild.  In each case, I left without
> tuning.  How can I avoid this in the future?  Is there a number of years-old
> that you will not go out for a tuning?  How do I  weed out the tunable
> pianos from the un-tunable pianos on the phone?
>
> Phil Ryan
> Miami Beach, FL

There is no way you can do this. Unfortunately, some people just assume that
anything that has pianos keys is a functioning instrument, and that all it
needs is a "tuning."  In some cases, you might be able to get a fee for just
coming out and condemning the piano. But I found that most customers take an
attitude that it must be your fault that the piano cannot be tuned, not the
other way around. I just chalk it up to a "no show," go on with my day and
forget about it.

Willem