Mentoring Program

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:28:11 -0700

Hey List,
I would like to propose a program. First, I would apologize for the =
length of this posting, but, once you read it, you'll understand.=20
I'll start with a story: A few years ago, my barber told me about his =
son. He said that his son was completely addicted to playing the piano =
and was having problems with Carpal Tunnel. He further said that his son =
was self taught and played almost exclusively Classical Music. Also, he =
did not read Music! This peaked my interest.
The short version is: He was playing on an old upright, in bad =
regulation and pretty much worn out. After much cajolling and several =
conferences with leading college piano instructors, we got him turned =
around. In the process, I offered to LOAN him a small grand, that I =
occasionally rent out, (with Flight Case). The only stipulations that I =
put on him, was that he continue to take lessons and that he get his =
High School grades up, and keep them up. I tuned the piano, every 3 =
months, so that I could monitor the piano and his progress. All this was =
done for free. Now, you're saying: boy is he tooting his horn! Not =
really, the satisfaction of helping an AVID student and the end result =
was more than enough compensation. The real reason I'm telling you all =
about this, is that I would like to see you all try something like this, =
in your area.
We all know how the Arts are taking a beating, in our schools. I think =
it's time, we, as a group, stood up and did something about it! This, I =
think, is one way to help the situation.
Oh, the story still continues, but at present, my barber's son is =
attending a college in Colorado, has a good GPA, is studying to become a =
Commercial Pilot, (his dad's hobby is flying), and is continuing to play =
the piano. It's his Outlet, his Teddy Bear and a continuing joy to his =
parents. (Warm and Fuzzy feelings all around!)
To end this LOOONG story, I would like to ask you all to consider some =
such program. Yesterday, I delivered a studio piano to a struggling =
college student, getting his recital together. It is in his home =
replacing a NASTY, BROKENDOWN SPINET. I know that he will be a better =
musician because of it. Comments will be appreciated. But, more than =
comments, Participation will be greatly appreciated by our upcoming, =
budding artists of the future.
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)