Bridge pins.

L. Verkoelen mrfixit@pineknot.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:06:28 -0700

Hi list.
While everyone seems to be having fun debating the esoteric property of
bridges and bridge pins, I have a question which I hope is a little more
fundamental.

I am working on a 1994 Petrov console. I am getting false beats in several
notes from the treble break and up due to loose bridge pins. When I first
serviced the piano 6 months ago, I told the client to seal off a heat
register that is 3 feet from the piano. When I serviced it today the
register was open and the piano was 5 cents flat.
I am contemplating putting in a damp chaser, (it would be my first.) My
question is: Would getting the humidity up correct the loose bridge pin
problem or will I have to resort to more drastic measures to get rid of the
false beats?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Louis Verkoelen
Associate Technician