Bridge caps

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:28:29 -0500

>Been following with interest... just wanted to ask a quickie here... How does
>this line up with Ron Overs recent comments about direction of grain in
bridges
>and bridge pinning ?
>
>--
>Richard Brekne

Hi Ric,
            I'm out of my depth with all the nuances of bridge design, but
when some one like Conklin makes a statement about bridges, I'm apt to
believe him. Certainly his patent's have stood the test of time.
His research and back up data supported the patent, that I am told was
contested by a competitor with a vertically laminated root form of bridge.
I wonder who.
I have serviced hundreds of vertically laminated bridges over the years,
and have found them to be the least problematic.  When ever Baldwin has
gone through a faulty bridge phase, the problem was traced to either a
change in process or glue formula.
I also have no doubt that Ron.O. is correct in his thinking, re the
orientation and quality of quarter saw.

Now all this talk about pin stability has me thinking,  the next old junker
that I get that needs a bridge cap, I'm going to use some varnish as a
driving fluid for the pins. It works well with tuning pins, why not bridge
pins????????  The pin should drive easier, less stress around the hole?????
 Will it help to seal the end grain of the hole and improve stability?????
Am I nut's? probably.

More questions than answers I'm afraid.
Have a good one.
Roger