Bridge caps

Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:48:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 02, 2001 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: Bridge caps

> To say that the pin depth has nothing to do with
> energy transfer is totally counterintuitive.

Within reasonable limits, it does not. Obviously, the bridge pin needs to be
seated far enough into the bridge to provide a good mechanical coupling.
Anything beyond that is superfluous.

Even if it did, what difference would it make to the overall scheme of
things? We are not dealing with a set of individual bridge pins and bridge
segments here. What happens to just one bridge pin is not heard separately
by itself. In other words, the bridge pin does not directly move the
soundboard. The string that is mechanically coupled to the bridge pin and
the surface of the bridge transfers energy to the assembly. What is
ultimately heard is the effect that the overall extent of the bridge has on
the overall motion of the soundboard.

> I can only go on what experience has been proving to me time
> and time again as we try to get better at what we do.

As well you should, but it ain't gospel.

Del