St. Louis (+a CD ad)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:33:56 EDT

Greetings all,
  Just returned from the Mid West Regional at St. Louis.  Approx. 70
attendees registered, and an impressive array of instructors.  Wim Blees can
take credit for putting on a well run, seamless, three day, technical font of
knowledge.  Three things stand out about the weekend, (obviously tempered by
my involvement in, well, tempering.)
   The first was the number of laymen involved; (actually, I suppose Sharon
was a laywoman, but that just doesn't seem like a very graceful description
of a non-professional female interested in piano technology). At the Saturday
night banquet, she explained how she was just getting started, had tuned one
piano, and was interested in pursuing this.  Naturally,  I attempted to
explain that it DID require the ability to make a decision, and the technical
background would be helpful, she tactfully explained back to me that she was
an engineer at a national manfacturing facility and was presently in charge
of a $6 million project,  (as Andy would say,"Now Barney, can you believe
that that big ol' shoe  on my foot would actually fit in this mouth of
mine......"?)
     That she was interested in changing pursuits was encouraging.  She was
not the only one, there were several new-comers, and I hope they all were
able to absorb some of the technical flavor of what we do.
   Secondly, we had a temperament pair of classes, and I got to see Skip
Becker's illumination of the Pythagorean influences in our music and science,
a welcome perspective on our harmonic underpinnings.  I carried on with my
temperament revival and in doing so, was favored with the talents of two
local pianists. Jennifer Lim and Annette Burkhart.  Annette had had her piano
tuned to a Young about two weeks ago, and Jennifer had never touched a well
tempered piano before that Friday.  They were both playing the recital that
night.
   I was using Jim Coleman's temperament, presenting it as a commercially
viable starting part for departure from ET.  Annette, who had had some
reservations about keeping the Young at home ultimately decided that she
might keep it, or at least this Victorian style.  Her class pieces included a
Gershwin piece in Db, which many of us agreed would have sounded better in
ET, but everything else seemed to delight most ears.  Seemed like there may
have been some ephiphanies out there.
    The recital (still in the Coleman 11), went well, as Annette had selected
works that sounded good on her Young.  Nothing startling out of this, but
many in the audience said that the music seemed particularly clear and full.
I was riveted by the Variations by Clara Schuman.  She and Dr. Lim played
some four hand music and it seemed to have a lot of clarity and texture, as
well.  I was down front, but others on the list might tell us what it was
like elsewhere in the hall, or if they noticed any difference at all?
     Thirdly, this weekend was the first exposure for our newest CD.  It is
"Six Degrees of Tonality"  in which Enid Katahn plays six pieces of music in
six tunings.  I tried to make this project as comparative as possible, while
still presenting a listenable CD.  To that end, we begin with meantone and
end with Coleman, following a chronological thread in both composer and
temperament.
   After "Beethoven In The Temperaments",  I was often told that it would be
nice to have a comparison, so we included one this time.  A Mozart piece on
the CD is played in three tunings; Meantone, Well Temperament, and ET, one
right after the other.  I will post the liner notes under a separate heading,
lest we bog the bandwidth of the uninterested.
    I know that there were several CD's sold to convention attendees that are
members of this list.  So.......  I certainly invite any of those that
purchased it to tell us what you think.  I won't be offended if there are
detractions as I know none of these recordings will be perfect and I don't
mind getting feedback before our next one!
Regards,
Ed  Foote
"Six Degrees" and "Beethoven In The Temperaments" can be ordered from me at:
Precision Piano Works
1506 Cedar Lane
Nashville, Tn. 37212
USA price is $17 each, or both for $30
Overseas, add $2 for one CD, or $3 for two.