Bridge caps

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:05:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2001 4:06:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< Where does the energy leak to?

It really comes down to how energy efficient you want to the system to be. If
you want as much of the vibrational energy to go into the bridge/soundboard
system (impedance and all), the ideally the pin should be buried as deeply as
possible in the trunk of the bridge (not the cap). Energy does bleed off into
the atmosphere from the tip of the pin, and more as the pin is extended. When
someone gives me that half a million dollars to set up that research facility
that I've been waiting for, I'll get right on it, but in the meantime,
intuition if not hard science would lead me to think that system efficiency
is the issue. This will probably not be a satisfactory answer to your
question, but it's the best I can do for now.
PR-J