SAT vs. RCT vs. veritune (plus a reply to Leo)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:34:39 -0600

Dear List,

I tuned with only a tuning fork for 6 years.  I then used the SAT II for 4
years.  I have never had any problems with the SAT... it is indestructible
and does very good tunings.  I have used RCT now for 9 months.  The RCT
allows me more control over my tunings than the SAT did (such as
experimenting with tunings other than Equal Temperament).  I also have much
more storage capacity for tuning files using RCT.

Thanks to Dean Reyburn and RCT, I was able to tune 15 pianos in the last
days... all good solid tunings, with about 75% of the tunings involving
pitch changes of over 20 cents.  I could have done the same thing using my
SAT II, but I believe that the RCT does more accurate pitch
corrections.  (Also, my SAT II doesn't have the automatic note-change
feature).  Both Al Sanderson and Dean Reyburn are geniuses and a blessing
to the piano industry. The designer of the Veritune has his work cut out
for him to overcome the high reputation of the RCT and the SAT, and I wish
him well.

I have never used the veritune but saw it demonstrated at the
convention.  The SAT can be connected to a computer, and the RCT is a
program installed in a computer.  So how is the veritune better than the
SAT and RCT?  If anyone has definite information about how the veritune is
"better" than RCT or the SAT, please respond.

Leo previously wrote:

>Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:47:17 EST
>From: LHSBAND440@AOL.COM
>Subject: It Doesn't Matter
>
>If the PTG really wanted to put there Letters (RPT) where their mouth is,
>they would let any tuner tune by any means possible.  Believe it or not,  I
>know a person who tunes his own piano with a self made hammer and golf tees
>for mutes and I would bet that he would be able to tune circles around some
>of you who have passed the tunning test.  To the PTG it is not the final
>result but more or less beloning to the brotherhood. In the real world it is
>the freaking final result.  And yes the man with the golf tee tunes for
>custormers in this fashion and charges.  And you know what, the customers
>keep calling him back.
>
>Leo

Do they keep calling him back to complain?  ;-)

Leo, please invite your friend who tunes using a homemade tuning lever and
two golf tees to come to Joplin.  I would like to meet him and hear one of
his tunings.  I don't care how anyone tunes, if they do a good job.  It is
the final result that counts.  If he can tune well enough to please some of
my "picky" customers, I would take off my hat to him and see what I can
learn from him.  But if he is that good, why doesn't he buy some real tools?

The PTG is not about a "brotherhood", if it was, I would see no reason to
belong.  I belong to the PTG because it has real value to me.  The $168.00
I pay each year for dues is cheap for what I get from my membership in the
PTG.  But there is no way I would pay that kind of money to belong to a
social group.  The final results are all that matters, and that is why I
belong to the PTG.

Leo, your posts to this list reveal a lot more about yourself than I think
you really wish people to know.  Think before you write.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano Technician
Joplin, Missouri, USA

P.S.  Where can I get an application to become a NIMROD?  It would be an
honor to have the same label as Jim or Newton.