Ideal leading pattern: more questions

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:45:11 -0000

You have all given me a tremendous amount of information to digest and I am
doing so as rapidly as possible.  The project developed as a rather simple
replace hammers and shanks because of heavy verdigris and worn hammers.  The
"feel" of the original configuration was difficult to determine because of
the verdigris.  It is a good lesson in how to take something simple and make
it very complex.  I am not committed to any set of parts (my approach is to
do it right even I have bought and paid for them anyway).  The original
knuckle was 16 mm.  I opted to use 16.5 because it offset a small amount of
additional weight with the new hammers and still gave me adequate aftertouch
with dip of .395 with and a 1 3/4" blow.  I didn't want to compromise either
of those any more than that by going to a 17mm knuckle if I could avoid it.
The 16.5 also allowed me set the project up for the least amount of lead
reorganization.  I dry mounted the hammers and could tell immediately that
something was amiss just by how it felt.  That launched me on this
particular thread.  The KW ratio does vary from top to bottom.  B0 is 5.0 B7
is 5.5.  Moreover, the capstan line itself is a bit snakelike creating some
inconsistency in both directions.  But the capstan is clearly shifted out in
the treble and the leading is significant in the upper range of the piano
(three leads into the last section) albeit they are set near the balance
rail.  That did give me some clue that there might be a problem which is why
a dry fit everything first.  The customers are undoubtedly totally unaware
of these problems and might not even notice.  I am pursuing this for the
most part because something is askew and it has offered a tremendous
learning opportunity.  I have begun to play with David Stanwood's ideas over
the past year and this has been a crash course.  The relationships between
all his variables is still something I am working on understanding.  Because
there are limited funds to resolve this by a major redesign, I am trying to
decide what gives me the best result and falls within the budget
limitations--a common problem.  Wally Brooks' quote is apropos.  At the
moment I am leaning toward further reducing the strike weight by thinning
the hammers and possibly going to a 17mm knuckle.  I am not that happy about
the regulation compromise, but I am double checking my samples to be sure
that my original regulation specs are correct.  If I can keep the dip under
.400 and the blow not less than 1 11/16 and remove a bunch of lead, I think
it will be adequate for now.

David Love

David Love