advice on action/hammers

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:39:06 -0600

>...I might also point out that "restoration" for museum usage is by no
>means the same as "restoration" for someone who fully intends to use an
>instrument in the home or otherwise. While we pick at the meaning of words
>we need to be mindfull of contexts and situations in order to put language
>into meaningfull perspective...
>Richard Brekne

Ironically, Richard, your comments support the difference between
restoration and rebuilding, as there most assuredly is a difference, and a
significant one at that.  I am in full agreement with Robert Moffait, who
knows what he is saying.

Equally, Edward Swenson, RPT, a master of piano restoration at a Toronto
Convention in 1987 cleared that matter up for me, once and for all.
Regardless of the context or situation, the words represent two different
means to achieve an end result in piano work.  A fully functioning
instrument capable of being used, admired, displayed, etc..

Poaching an egg is not the same as frying an egg.  You can pick all you
want about contexts and situations, and the meanings of words, but the two
methods, restoration and rebuilding, are entirely different with a common
end result of use.

Restoration of a piano is to keep the parts as original as possible at all
costs, so much so that even a trained eye would have a difficult time
telling such work was done at all.  Exhausting work and documentation

Rebuilding a piano constitutes replacement of parts in a major way, and a
trained eye would know that such work had been performed.  Please
understand this, I am not addressing the issue as to what degree of
replacement of parts constitutes partial versus total rebuilding, and all
that falls in between.

There will be some who refuse to accept this reality of different
terminology, but regardless, it doesn't change the truth about it
whatsoever.  Antares understood that completely, and acknowledged such
without hesitation.  That says a lot for his personage.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild