New use of Old Tunings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:50:10 EST

Greetings all,
     Recently, on the list, there seems to have been a slight rise of
pessimism over the temperament revival .  Even to the point of making the
assumption that anything other than ET was not usable in accompaniment.  I
would like to offer a couple of counterpoints and perhaps a course of
direction to investigate.  Of course, it will co$t.
    The recent Steve Earle recording  "Transcendental Blues" contains two
tracks that use piano.(a Steinway OR, my own rebuild of many years ago, dang
bright, flattish board).
     We keep this piano in a Young (1799) temperament.  The primary
dimensions of this tuning are the C-E third tempered 5 cents wide and the
F#-A# is the full 21.7 cents. While the F# is a buzz-saw of edginess, the
other end of the circle at C is almost pure.  The steps between these
extremes are even.
    Of more melodic interest,  the C's, F's and A#'s are all 6 cents sharp of
ET, and the E's are all 2 cents flat. Most other notes are within 4 cents or
less of the normal ET pitch.  So what happens in the studio situation?
    There was a roomfull of expensive talent that DID NOT want to be kept
waiting, and they didn't.  The pianist was totally blown away with the sound
of the piano, but didn't know or care about the temperament, even so, I was
not rolling the dice, since the piano has been tuned this way for years and
the management emphatically does not want an ET on the piano.  They say it
just kills the sound.  (go figure...)
    The "guitar keys" like E and A, C, D,G etc.  are used a lot, and seem to
meld with the guitars better.  Big ballads in the simple keys, like many
songwriters around here like, make great use of those smooth thirds, and the
occasional bullwhip modulations that some of these guys use really come alive
when the harmony steps through some highly tempered combinations after
floating in all that smooth texture.
    I have asked several producers how they feel about the V chord when they
are in the key of E.  The B-D# third is tempered 19 cents wide, and that
makes for a real "active" sound.  The general impression around the studio is
that the piano has a lot of drive, clarity, and solidity.
   So, just don't saddle me in with the "ET is the only tuning for a mixed
situation" limits,  I am seeing people put big money on contradicting
evidence right here, right now.  The beauty of these tunings is not
exclusively reserved for the art music of 1800 Vienna, its Baroque
foundations, or the Romantic wash that followed it.       Musicians today are
overwhelmingly drawn to the well tempered sounds when introduced properly,
and consider them an asset.  This is something that most tuners can cultivate
in their own area as well, and it will work to their profit as well as their
stature in the local music circles.
    The future is more important than the past, but we have to be "here now"
to do anything about it.  (I hope that's not too  "60's" to make sense !)
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(They began an extensive Nancy Griffith project in that room this morning,
and I will post the info when that recording is available.)