Rim Construction

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:55:13 -0600

>(Baldwin's smaller traditional grands -- the M, R and L -- used maple for
>generations.  Then they were switched to poplar, but only briefly.  Sustain
>dropped so significantly that the inner rim was switched back to maple, but
>still with a poplar outer rim.  I understand the outer rim is now also once
>again maple.)

Hi Del,
           The recent changes to all artist series grands is as follows.
100% maple inner and outer rim construction.
100% maple leg and pedal lyre construction.
Inner rim profile matches sound board curve.
Boards, combination of radius rib and compression set.
All models, ribs notched to liner. ( this is new for M.R. L. )
New CNC control of bridge machining.
New joint venture plate supplier,  they are now consistent in thickness,
previous  Kelly plates could vary up to 1/8". And were impossible to get
any consistency
New CNC drilling machine, all holes controlled to .004" tolerance.
Custom made Renner hammers.
Polyester finishes.
Hiring of real piano tech's, to do the finishing work, and final inspection.
At least they are making some big efforts, the largest investment in QC, in
the company's history.
More quality related improvements in the works.

Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213