Rim Construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:16:40 -0500

I am on a quest to understand what makes a good piano. I understand that it
takes an optimal (or there 'bouts) configuration of all piano systems, BUT,
specifically, restricting the view to the piano rim, what are piano rims
made of? I know Steinway are all hard maple laminations. I know most Baldwin
grands are hard maple laminations (I guess they have experimented a bit in
the past). I know Asian pianos are laminated soft hardwoods (select!). I
understand that some European pianos have spruce rims (or whatever).

How about other North American manufacturers in the past? Are old Mason &
Hamlin laminated hard maple? What is the nature of 1890 to 1930 Knabe, A. B.
Chase, Chickering, Henry F. Miller, and other "good" manufacturer's rim
construction? Of course, I am not looking for specifics of each model, but
rather generalities. I know nothing of these rims. Anyone?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com