"guarantee...?"

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:21:33 -0500 (EST)

  (Here's where some real controversy starts on this list.)  If a piano
is dramatically flat, I usually do things a bit differently.  First, I
gauge my customer.... Is this an advanced musician that nothing but A440
will satisfy?  Is this a nice little old lady that only wants to thump
out church hymns and "just wants the piano to sound like something"?  Is
there a child taking lessons?  Are the people poor?  Etc.  Then, I check
the piano...  is it fit for A440?
Then, I MAY offer several choices assuming the instrument will take A440
and, based on who will be playing (and paying).  I explain that the
piano is dramatically flat and explain that the piano is tuned by
adjusting the tension on the strings. (You'd be surprised at how many
people never made the connection... tighter=higher and vice versa.  "Oh,
you actually turn those!")  Then I explain that if I change the overall
tension,   the instrument may tend to drift somewhat as it gets
accustomed to higher tension.  (I NEVER blame or shame the customer for
the piano's condition.  The piano is as it is.  Forget the past.  Remedy
the present.)  If the customer seems poor and/or the piano isn't going
to get "serious" use,  I give them options.  I'll usually offer two of
the following depending on circumstances.  I can put the piano in
harmony with itself.....  I can bring it up to pitch.....  I can finesse
it up to pitch a little at a time, each time it's tuned.    Then I'll
often be asked, "What's the difference?"  So now I can explain.  First,
I go over the disadvantages (FLAT) and advantage (it'll stand in tune
for a long time) of tuning it to itself.  Then I explain the pitch raise
and follow-up tuning option. And/or I explain about gradually bringing
it up.  Often, I'll hear, "I'm just not sure.  I don't know what to
decide."  AND NOW COMES MY OPPORTUNITY.  I tell them that it depends on
how the piano will be used, and most importantly,  I tell them the pitch
raise option is the way to go IF THEY INTEND TO KEEP THE PIANO TUNED
REGULARLY.  Now, all my bases are covered.  If I'm dealing with some one
who won't/can't have it done regularly (well...maybe every decade), it's
tuned flat, but it sounds better AND it'll hold. No hassles.
Everybody's friends.  If they opt for the pitch raise and fine tuning,
they know it'll be 2 visits.  They're also very likely to keep it tuned
regularly from then on. I now have a steady customer.  If they opt to
bring it up gradually, they understand to have it tuned regu;larly and I
have a new steady customer.  (And I will get it up to A440 for them.)
Of course, the advanced players and serious students will want it at
A440...  they already understand or their teachers do.  Joe G.