Acoustic VS Electric Pianos

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:34:40 EST

"I have both an electric and acoustic instrument. The electric was used
exclusively this summer. At the end of the summer, I couldn't wait to get
back to the acoustic instrument. The electric instrument's sound came at
you...the acoustic's enveloped you. There was absolutely NO comparison."

---Dan Hallett, RPT

I agree totally, at the best an electronic instrument will emulate an
acoustic instrument.  The computer chip hasn't been made that will replace a
fine piano.  What does the future hold? I don't know, and neither do you.
Maybe we'll make pianos of other materials in the future (the more likely
prospect is that we will grow more trees, they do grow you know).  Lighten
up and work with what you've got.

Myself, I just spent the last few hours signing up three new piano students.
  Two of them will use electronic keyboards to start, but they all know that
if they go very far they will want an acoustic piano.  I know I have spoken
much heresy about this issue over the past few days, but the fact is this:
if some of those kids don't start on an electric instrument, they won't
start.  I've got those children in the door and I'll teach them music.  NOT
just a few hymns and the Star Spangled Banner, but MUSIC!  Of course how far
they go is up to them,  I've got students who started on keyboards and are
now playing Chopin Nocturnes, Joplin's Rags, and Copeland's Preludes.  If
they develop bad habits during the process, that's because they are kids and
I will do my best to fix them because I am a teacher.  I do not buy this
NONSENSE that a child who starts on a keyboard will not be able to play,
just go ahead and tell me that the sky isn't blue either.

Emotional rant over for now.  <g>

Mitch Ruth
www.childrensmusicassociation.com