Decal for 1866 Steinway (and Style question!)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:26:00 EST

Hi, Greg:

Very interesting!  I am currently rebuilding a Style 2 1878 grand, 7'3".  It
is my impression that the model lengths varied on the pre-continuous rim
pianos, the style designations are not precisely tied to exact lengths, and
the correspondence to A-D models is very rough.

One of the things I am learning about these early Steinways is that at least
some were scaled to a very high pitch, possibly as high as A-457.  My Style 2
85 note scale is wacko at A-440 in PScale.  Note 85 is 1 7/8".  Dale Irwin
recently rebuilt one of these (w/new board) and it sounded great tuned in the
stratosphere after the initial high pitch raises, but when it settled into
A-440 it wasn't nearly so good.  The choice in these pianos (other than
preservation) is restoration or redesign - do you want to copy everything and
tune it at a historically high pitch so it sounds good, or do you want the
piano to sound good at a useful pitch, and therefore rescale the piano,
moving the bridge, etc.?

Sorry I can't help with the decal - mine was gone before I got the piano.

Would still love any pictures you might be able to send.

Bill Shull, RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 10/28/00 10:46:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,