sharp piano

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:04:27 -0400

Its funny now but... Called to tune in our local library for the first =
of this seasons concerts, I was asked to meet the pianist to address =
some voicing concerns . This is  a 70's Steinway M.,teflon, in decent =
condition and meeting the libraries needs quite well. We have had a =
humid summer here in Mass so I decide to arrive early planning to lower =
pitch to 440 and evaluate for voicing and any regulation. The piano was =
70 cents sharp @C40!. Turns out the pianist has been preparing for his =
program for 6 weeks and running a floor model humidifier next to the =
piano on high since sept. because the action " felt kind of loose and is =
much better now" He was actually a nice fellow and although he  tried to =
defend his actions for a brief time, came around to a new reality soon =
after .  I had a few days before his program and was able  to stabilize =
tuning and take care of his other concerns. Any guesses on how far south =
this thing goes when the heat comes on? Tom Driscoll. P.S. I'm putting a =
note on the humidifier and will make a proposal to the board for a =
climate control system.