Stumped

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:35:41 +0930

Hi Paul,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but try this one.

Two pins at top of action posts. There should be three or four screws
through the balance rail into the key bed. There may also be screws in the
key front bar.

Looking at the top of the keys you should find slotted screw head marks.

I have also found that is some pianos the back touch rail has also been
screwed down at both ends.  Reason is that when the una corda pedal is
activated the initial pressure is upward on the action post.

Alternate is that these screw points generally line up with the keybed cross
pieces (back to front), locate them from the underside of the keyboard then
lift the keys up from the top at that position to find screws.

The action and keybed are one piece, the action posts are dowelled and
screwed to the keybed from the under side

Failing all above the only answer is to take all the keys out and inspect
for the screws.
In removing and replacing the keys the stickers should come out of the holes
at the back of the keys with a piece of felt on the bottom, in the bottom of
the hole is a screw for adjusting the sticker height (same as key capstain)
I have always found it easier to (when replacing the key) put the sticker
into the hole before placing the key back onto the key frame.

Adjusting the sticker screws must be done in the piano with the key frame
locked down.

Have Fun

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia