SD-10 Problem

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:50:22 -0400

David Ilvedson wrote:

> Don't you think that a lot of the jangles we hear in pianos are caused by
> hard hammers bringing out the high partials which cause the duplex (tuning
> pin side between capo and pressure bar)to ring out more than designed?

Hi David,
     A couple of weeks ago I heard Roger Jollys' excellent four part voicing
class in Cincinnati.  I, like you, always assumed that hard hammers produced
stronger upper partials than soft ones do.  Roger Jolly demonstrated otherwise
using his RCT Pianalyzer on hammers in the killer octave zone. I came home and
tried this with my own RCT and found the same. --hard hammers in the killer
octave produced weak or non existent upper partials.
Go Figure,
-Mike