The official first flaming by Leifsson

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:25:32 EDT

Kristinn wrote:

"Grrrrrr... I wish to flame.

Shame on you Mitch, napalm your hiney!"

I, of course, am deeply honored by your flame. <g>

"I do not agree, there´s no way I can concede to this.
This is the reason people complain about the "resistance" let-off produces
as if were an abnormal thing.
Come on, there are SO many things that contribute to the proper touch that
are not mimicked on keyboards, and even the best keyboards can´t emulate a
piano."

You, of course, are right.  There is no way that an electronic instrument
can match the sound or the touch of a fine piano.  I do not claim it and I
would never have you concede to it.  However I, as a Music Educator in a
private music school that MUST make money or close it's doors, have to deal
with the reality of the situation in my community.  To tell folks,"You MUST
buy a $4,000 dollar musical instrument or we will not teach your child
music.", is a gross injustice to the children of my community and would put
me out of business tout suite.  It's not a perfect situation but it's better
than nothing.

"You´ve probably heard this before."

Yup and since we first ignored it ten years ago we have taught over 700
children at least the basics of piano playing.  Most of them hung around for
a few years and had a good time doing it.  Some of them have developed into
real players.  A TON of them have bought fine instruments when they realized
that the investment would pay off.  How many of them would have gotten that
far if we had barred the door at the beginning?

Now go and read the last paragraph of my original post. <g>

I am pleasantly singed...
Mitch Ruth
www.childrensmusicassociation.com