Steinway let-off screw repair

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:22:31 -0700

List,

Thanks to all the tips on how to remove the broken let-off screw.  Of all of
them the tube to drill around the broken screw from Ron N. seemed the less
invasive.  I could only find an aluminum tube which couldn't stand up to the
job.  A brass one would probably done it.  What I did end up doing was
simply following a tip from David Love of San Francisco and punching it out.
I used a 1/8 inch punch and voila out it came with no damage to the brass
rail (I was watching carefully).  I didn't even use a anvil underneath for
support which would have be prudent.  I have a nice 1/8" hole through the
rail which I will dowel with maple and epoxy.  Redrill and install screw.

Thanks again List for the ideas.

David I.