SD-10 Problem

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:39:35 -0600

Hi All,

Indeed pianos should all be perfect. We should strive to not reinvent the
wheel and subvert the original designers intent--after all he may know
something we don't. Or their taste in tone color may be different. To put
it another way, I hate cherry pie. That doesn't mean that cherry pie in of
itself is offensive--just that my particular taste is for lemon!

There have been discussions of how the front duplex (and possibly the rear)
increase the tone. My understanding is that these are never struck by a
hammer. *grin*. They are also no where near the soundboard.

The bridge/soundboard interfaces should really be thought of as
"transducers". They accept vibrational input from the string and modify it.
Just like the needle/diaphram/horn in an old wind up phonograph.

Each and every time a transducer is introduced some energy is absorbed. In
the case of a vibrating string in a vaccumm with "perfect" friction free
termination vs one in a piano I suspect the "trade off" is sustain.

The way in which front duplexes are activated is by energy *losses* across
the pressure bar (capo). It *does* take "energy" for them to vibrate, so
therefore I think of them not as tone producers (they can't add energy) but
as a tone "filtering" device. They are absorbing energy at specific
partials. This is rather like a passive band pass filter on a stereo--which
can't "add" energy but only "absorb" it.

Are they an attempt to cause the plate to radiate sound energy? After all
they are very distant from the soundboard and usually above the pinblock,
which is a pretty solid piece of material (or should be *grin*). So is the
front duplex a "transducer" like the sound board?

I have never seen a front duplex with an aggraffe, or if I did I didn't
recognize it as a duplex.

I have personally never had a client complain about rear duplex. Nor have I
heard one myself that was offensive. Has anyone had to mute off a rear
duplex because of "jangles"?

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/