A438 on Uprights

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:23:49 EDT

About five or six weeks ago someone on this list suggested tuning the old
uprights (pre 1925) to A438.  I had the right instrument to do this to
yesterday.  It was a 1917 Regal upright in great condition, someone had done
a good rebuild job on the action.  I was a little worried about string
corrosion and the pinblock looked like it had been treated.  It was between
70 and 80 cents flat.  I puckered my bellybutton and did the pitch raise.
Nothing broke!  I did the fine tuning at A438 and got a honey-rich tone that
thrilled me and the customer!

Thanks for the tip!

Mitch Ruth
President, the "We only tune old Starr uprights that have been in the barn
for the past 30 years" Society of Greater Pendleton County  :-)>

www.praisecraft.com