SD-10 Problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:39:05 -0600

Hi Kevin,
               I agree with Bill 100%. If the termination piece is a
continuous piece in each section it is made from mild steel. String grooves
will be quite deep at this age and vintage if the forward portion has never
been dressed. The rear part of the termination has 3 grooves by intent, to
space the strings.
Ideal solution, Re string the treble and dress the forward portion of the
termination.
It will clean up the noise and increase the sustain.
A check that you can use to verify the problem, Take a blunt screw driver
between the strings in the forward duplex, twist, and you should hear the
string 'pop' out of the groove.
Listen to tone quality for an improvement.
Later models have individual termination pieces,  These pieces are
precision machined, case hardened steel, and I have not seen them deformed
or grooved. They are silver in colour.  (The mild steel looks black.)
If the hammers have been reshaped or are badly worn, you could be playing
on pure lacquer.
it will give a similar result.
If your needles are tough to penetrate, Saturate the hammers several times
with pure acetone, to wash the lacquer further inward. DO NOT play the
piano until the hammers are dry, 2hrs is fairly safe. but next day is
preferable.
In severe cases, I will deep wet needle the shoulders. late 80's on wards
key top hardener may have been used.
Susan Klien did an artical for the journal earlier this year on the subject.
The most common problem with the later models, technician's tend to be a
little timid in voicing this section, The hammers were invariably doped
quite heavily. As the hammer wears, you are breaking into the hardener
zone, and the can sound like swinging bricks.
Susan look's after a performance SD10 that was restrung, but the
termination was not looked after, the noise reappeared in a relatively
short time.
Hope this helps
Roger

Roger Jolly